Re: operational F, m, and a

I'm a little confused here. Some have said that F = ma is not the way to
define force. However, that is the way it is officially defined. So how
come are we arguing about how force is defined, when IUPAP and NIST and
similar agencies world wide have already agreed on the definition.

Meter, kilogram, and seconds are base units for SI units. Then we have more
units derived from the base units.

Not every website has an explicit definition of derived units, but some do.
Upon going to IUPAP.ORG you can find some statements about the force of one
newton, but that site also refers us to other sites such as "SP Swedish
National Testing and Research Institute." (www.sp.se) At this site they
say...

* * * *
The SI unit of force is the newton (N)
1 N is defined as the force that gives a
mass of 1 kg an acceleration of 1 m/s²
* * * *

Sounds to me like force is officially defined via Newton's Second Law.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817