Re: F=ma: law or theory?

Regarding Robert Cohen's question:

OK, F=ma can be derived from something else. Are you saying that the
"something else" is a theory?

The something else is a principle, i.e. Hamilton's Principle. On it
hang
all the laws of classical mechanics.

Can you be more clear on what might make
F=ma a theory instead of a law? I interpret "theory" to imply
"explanatory"
whereas "law" implies "empirical". Maybe that is my mistake here.

It is a *law*--Newton's 2nd as I recall.

David Bowman
David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu