Re: Why work before energy in texts

From: Rick Tarara <rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU>

----- Original Message -----
From: "kowalskil" <kowalskil@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>

3) We are not discussing zero temperature oscillators,
or other advanced QM topics. We are discussing an
introductory physics sequence.

This is a very important point. In most of our Phys-L
threads, what starts
out to be a discussion of a topic AS presented in intro
texts, usually
blossoms into post graduate level quibbling. There are
fundamentally 2
groups of physics education 'consumers', the physics
majors and all the
others. Within the others, one can subdivide again, into
'general
education' students, and science/engineering students.
At the
college/university level, the intro physics course is the
terminal physics
course for a very large percentage of the students
(95%-??). The textbooks
used in these intro courses are the same for both the
majors and the others
(at least at the calc level) and must reflect the fact
that the majority of
users are taking their last course in physics. This fact,
I'm sure, colors
the presentation and content of these texts. Serway for
Physics Majors
might well be a different text than Serway for Scientists
and Engineers. I
think it has been accepted that the incomplete,
oversimplified, and
sometimes 'wrong' presentations in the intro texts will be
completed,
expanded, and corrected in higher level physics major's
courses.

Artificial divisions among our students is silly, and should
be abandoned. Physics is physics, and if it is to be learned
at the introductory level, then it must be learned --
period. Newton's laws work the same way for all who use them.

The point here (I'm rambling) is that we have to be very
aware of the
audience when talking about major changes in the
curriculum/content/pedagogy. What might be an ideal
ordering of topics for
a Physics major might not work well at all for a Bio major
in an algebra

So a good explanation shouldn't be used across the board?
Very interesting.

level course. The 'nits' that are constantly picked here
on the list are
usually meaningless for a 'general education' class. I
would suggest that
if _some_ of the discussions here were followed in
teaching such a class, it
would be a disaster. This is what makes teaching physics
so difficult--you

Hold on! The distaster would be from an instructor
attempting teach something the way he/she was taught in grad
school, which is usually not the best way.

can't necessarily teach work/energy/forces/weight/etc. the
same at all of
these course levels. It is not JUST a matter of math
level--it is much more

I do. It CAN and MUST be done.

It is precisely this type of "inertia" that is partially
responsible for the poor state of physics instruction we
face today.

Cheers,
Joe

CVAC Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/cvac.html>
My Book <http://www.willbell.com/new/fundephcomp.htm>
My Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/>
Please -- no Microsoft attachments. They're a security risk.