Re: Spring potential energy without Work (sort of)

On Monday, October 15, 2001 2:59 PM, RAUBER, JOEL wrote:

[snip]
3) The spring requires some calculus, which shouldn't
surprise us since it
is an example of a force that produces a non-constant
acceleration when it
is the only force acting on an object. And algebra based
courses tend to
require some handwaving when treating such forces (or at least their
kinematics when working with instantaneous quantities).
[snip]

It seems to me that it involves as much calculus as deriving (1/2 mv^2).
This is usually done (in an algebra course) by stating that if v
increases linearly with time then v_avg = (v_i + v_f)/2. If this hand-
waving works, then we might as well say that if F increases linearly
with distance then F_avg = (F_i + F_f)/2, no?*

Is this hand-waving somehow worse than the hand-waving performed to get
v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 a Delta x?

*[since F = kx, then
F_avg*Delta x = k (x_i + x_f)*(x_f - x_i)/2 = 1/2 k Delta (x^2).]

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| rcohen@po-box.esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |
| http://www.esu.edu/~bbq/ (570) 422-3428 |