Re: work, energy, etc

I can't believe this, but then that's probably because I haven't been reading this
thread closely.

I would think one should introduce concepts first that are easily apprehended
(original meaning). i.e. work first, as it's so kinesthetic, while energy is
rather nebulous.

Am I missing it?

Panzers,

bc

P.s. I second Ludwik's question.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

"John S. Denker" was quoting John Barrer:

I think this (Modeling) approach does a
much better job of helping beginning
students learn the fundamental concepts.

What I remember (from being a participant of the Modeling
workshop several years ago) is the idea of introducing energy
BEFORE introducing work. I would very much like to know
if this approach is still promoted and how successful it was?
An outline of conceptual steps, in the order in which they are
introduced to students, would be worth displaying.
Ludwik Kowalski

Is there any reason for thinking so?

Should we tell beginning English students to say "aint" and "they is",
knowing that it is bad English, and hoping that they will unlearn it
later? By the same token, what is the point of teaching beginning students
bad physics, for no discernible reason, when better approaches are available?

And you never
have to use the hated word "flow" to describe the
processes.

Hatred is not a substitute for careful reasoning. If flow is unphysical,
somebody needs to explain why. See also
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/conservative-flow.htm