Re: Friction and rolling on a ramp

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
The point is that the actual amount of static friction depends on what it
is
reacting to. I guess the answer to the question of "how does it know"
would
be that it doesn't... it just matches the opposing force, unless it can't.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D. Phone/voice-mail:
419-358-3270
Professor of Chemistry & Physics FAX:
419-358-3323
Chairman, Science Department E-Mail
edmiston@bluffton.edu
Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817

Thanks,

I wish I had waited until after my ride home to make the posting as that
is when I get to ponder things. I reached the same conclusion about
halfway home.

Nonetheless, it is "magical" as to how it all works out just the way it
needs to.

Ken Fox