Re: work and energy - take 2

(i) There is no heat transfer. All energy exchanges are ultimately
mediated by forces between particles. I am here trying to answer to John
D's and Jim G's desires to avoid any Q term.

Did I hear my name spoken? There has to be a Q term otherwise one loses
the Second Law as well. It is just that Q is WORK!!! Call it heat if you
like, but do it with great caution. But it does not "flow" (It is "done")
nor is it "energy".

The difficulty with the First Law is that one can not distinguish between Q
& W except for one case -- that I know of -- and thus this puts a big hole
in the Second Law as well.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen