Re: Displacement and position (was: displacement and graphs)

one quibble:

Sure (I'm not sure of the "fixed" part), but that is not how I interpret
John's definition, see below.

There is a difference between "fixed" and "initial".

Obviously, which is why I said "I'm not sure about the "fixed" part", which
was a reply to a different author.

And on to the substance (or lack thereof):

I never required the reference to be the origin. I never
said that. I
never even imagined that.

With that understanding most of what I said is moot. I inferred something
you did not mean to imply.

I won't debate the alleged ugliness of something I never said.

No, you said it, or at least implied it as you admit below. I.e. a
succession of reference points; and I'm alleging its ugliness, something you
have done in many other threads in reply to other authors.

Notice, that this
requires you to change your arbitrary reference for each
succeeding interval
of motion of your object that you wish to consider. Sure
you can do that in
a consistant fashion, but UGH.

De gustibus non disputandum.

Agreed and that ends up being what this strand has boiled down to!

A glance at the literature will
confirm that
using a succession of references is utterly standard procedure:
-- for sound propagation in crystals in fluids,
-- for considering incremental displacement,
-- et cetera.

I glance at the literature and obtain a confirmation of what I'm saying,
define displacment over an interval without use of a reference point.

More precisely, I should say without interpreting the initial location as a
reference point, thus putting initial location and final location on an
equal footing. But I suspect that we have reduced our differences to
semantics and aesthetic judgement.

Practically speaking, one defines an arbitrary reference point, the
coordinate origin, ( a different use of the words "arbitrary reference
point" that I mis-applied to JD's post) and proceeds by calculating
displacements as differences of position vectors. We notice that this
procedure does *not* require a succession of reference points, which is to
say we keep the coordinate origin fixed! A beautiful thing, I may add. :-)