Re: Thermodynamics essay

JD wrote:
This implies that entropy is not a state variable of a
system (function of
state). Many people like to insist that it is a state
variable. Comments?

Ugh. Good question. These are deep issues.

I added a new section to the essay addressing this point.
See if it helps:
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/thermo-laws.htm#sec-peculiar-s

I've looked at the revision, and I'm glad that you flatly state that your
ideas of entropy imply that entropy isn't a state variable. I'd love to
hear the opinion of others regarding that "fact". It strikes me that this
was the nub of distinction in a famous discussion between David Bowman and
Leigh Palmer a year or two ago on this list.

Also, BTW thanks for presenting to Phys-L your monographs!! I enjoy reading
them and learn from them!