Re: displacement and graphs

This confusion has prompted me to avoid the term displacement...do it
really serve a purpose that change in position would not. We don't have
a separate word for change in velocity...why do we need one for
position.
Could it be that this preferential treatment of position, that is
creating a word for the change, is somehow connected with the naive
preference for position rather than velocity when thinking about how
objects move? That just popped into me head so I'm not sure I would
defend it strongly...but it is curious.

joe

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Rick Tarara