Re: displacement and graphs

At 11:23 AM -0400 10/9/01, Spagna Jr., George wrote:
Ken Fox asks:

I am puzzled by authors who ask for a graph of position as a function of
time but call it displacement. Am I alone? To me a displacement graph
should mirror the velocity graph.

I'm confused. What do you mean by "mirror?" As I understand it, in 1D,
displacement and position differ only in the arbitrary choice of origin for
position, and the establishment of an initial position for displacement. In
either case, velocity vs time should be the slope of the position or
displacement vs time graph.

I have found the same confusion seems to exist in various authors' minds,
and consequently I have to make a lengthy explanation about the terms. But
I'd still be interested in what the rest of the list does.

Does the term "displacement" refer to the vector r (from some arbitrary
origin) or does it refer to r_2 - r_1 (i.e. final - initial). They are
clearly not the same thing but it seems texts use "displacement" for both
concepts.

Ken, it seems to me, is of the "displacement = r_2 - r_1" camp which means
that it would look exactly like a velocity graph sans the division by delta
t. Others seem to think "displacement = position or location"--the _slope_
of whose graph would be the velocity.

In other words, is average velocity the slope of displacement or is
velocity just displacement divided by delta t?

Larry