Re: Why?

George Spagna says that "maintaining standards, not by being punitive but by
insisting that students work up to
their potential" is an approach to getting students to follow instructions.

I whole heartedly agree, and it is exactly what I do. The problem is that
students view adherence to standards, even when done kindly, as punitive.

Students are given clear directions about how an assignment is supposed to
be done. Sometimes they are told how much will be subtracted from their
score for specific types of errors. And when I follow through and subtract
the points I am accused of being punitive.

"Why did you take off 10% on my lab report?

"Because it was two days late; and that's the penalty for being late. It
explains this in the syllabus. We also went over this in class."

"Yes, but I didn't really think you would do it?"

"Well, now you know. Getting things in on time is important."

"But why are you punishing me? After all, I did get it done and I did turn
it in almost on time."

I hear this all the time. I suspect one reason I hear it is because it has
worked for them in the past. If that is true, it is obvious to me that we
have to stick together on this. It will be difficult. It starts very
young... like when parents tell kids to do something, the kids don't do it,
the parents keep backing off. Pretty soon the kids learn that instructions
do not have to be followed.

Yes, I'm a parent... I've been there; done that. I know how hard it is.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817