Re: HOLES AS CARRIERS

Try this out...

We know that wavy things like electrons can sometimes appear localized, and
sometimes appear unlocalized.

When we speak of "charge carrier" we have in mind some localized entity that
appears to be moving or propagating. If the entity does not possess some
degree of localization then I do not know how to picture "it" as being a
"charge carrier." For example, I do not know how to describe the Hall
Effect without some localized charged entities that respond to the magnetic
field.

In some materials, experiments like the Hall Effect seem to indicate a
negative charge carrier. In other materials the same experiment seems to
indicate a positive charge carrier. I can picture this in my mind by
imagining that the charge carrier is the one that seems to have some amount
of localization to it. If the electron wave density in the conduction band
is giving rise to regions of localized negative density, then conduction in
this material will appear to negative charge carriers. On the other hand,
if the electron wave density in the conduction band is giving rise to
regions of localized positive density then that material will appear to have
positive charge carriers.

I am not a solid-state physicists. Poke holes in this as necessary. It
seems helpful to me.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817