Re: Saturday Morning Puzzle, Part 2

At 09:01 10/6/01 -0700, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
/snip/ I'd be interested in knowing how a distribution that places
most of the mass in one object at arbitrarily large distances (not
to mention in directions that cover a solid angle of nearly 2*pi)
from any given portion of the other object could end up giving a
larger net force than a distribution that keeps all of the mass
within a small distance *and* a smaller range of solid angles.

John Mallinckrodt

John provided this most interesting argument for the optimality of
two spheres each of constant mass m whose proximal surfaces are
separated by a modest distance x, as compared with two disks each
of mass m and separated on their proximal flat faces by a
distance x in respect to maximizing gravitational
attractive force.

I wonder if he would help me evaluate the following configuration:

two hemispheres each of mass m separated on their flat faces
by a distance x.

I may yet prove susceptible to reason!

Thanks

Brian W