Re: HOLES AS CARRIERS

At 10:09 AM 10/7/01 -0400, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

After being satisfied with the explanation of the "positivity
of holes" I started thinking about it and I am less satisfied.

Good. That's a sign of intelligence, a sign of careful thinking. Don't
believe everything you read.

All materials are made of atoms, systems containing
charged particles (electrons and protons). We learn that
there are no particles called holes, unless the "emptiness",
full of fields, is treated as a set of holes.

A hole represents an emptiness in the sea of carriers, not an emptiness in
the "fields".

A uniform semiconductor, n or p, is electrically neutral. It
remains neutral when a current flows through it due to an
applied difference of potentials. The same is true for metals.

Yes.

But we do not say that a free electron, drifting from point
A to point B, creates a positively charged region near A.

1) Au contraire, sometimes we do say exactly that. If you apply a field to
an isolated chunk of metal, you get polarization fields of exactly this form.

2) In a circuit, we don't say there is a positively charged region left
behind because there is no positively charged region left behind. The
departed charge is replaced by a charge coming in from the upstream circuit
element, to a usually-good approximation.

Remember that Kirchhoff's "laws" are only approximations, usually good at
low frequencies in circuits of typical circuit elements.

What we are saying is that the drift of electrons in
one direction is equivalent to the drift of positive charges.

The drift of electrons _plus a bunch of other complicated phenomena_ is
equivalent to the drift of positive charges.

I am not able to make a good connection between the idea
of donors/acceptors and holes.

Good! They're not the same idea.

If presence of acceptors is equivalent to holes then presence
of donors should also be equivalent to holes, unless a hole
is not simply a place in which neutrality is locally destroyed
for a short period of time.

The premise of this "If" is not satisfied, so we need not worry about where
this thought is leading.

Clearly something is missing in
my mental image of reality. Is it because I am using the
semi-classical way of thinking about tiny particles (accepting
the QM band structure without abandoning the idea of
classical drifting) ?

Good question, but I think the answer is diametrically opposite: I think
the problem comes from not accepting _enough_ of the QM band
structure; see below.