Re: Sunday Morning Puzzle.

I thought so too -- then as an exercise I tried doing the integration, first
using the formula for a disk for E with the proper substitution for gravity -- I
failed -- not a math person. So I "really" cheated and found the answer (and how
to get it) in Marian; substituted b.w.'s values and didn't get his result. So
either the center of mass is not the center of "gravitational force" or I
goofed. However, I also tried a counter example to the assumption one may put
all the mass in the center of mass and, for points outside the mass, get the same
g force.

Take two point masses 1 and 10 units separated by 11 length units. The c of m is
on the line connecting them, one unit from the 10 unit mass. Right? The force
field one unit from the 10 unit mass collinear, not between the masses is G*10m/1
+ G*m/144. If one places all the mass at the center of mass the g field is
G11*m/4, obviously considerable less. The sphere is a unique? example where the
center of g force and mass are the same. Is the disk also?

bc willing to pronounce self dead after the pair of docs. is explained.

P.s. Other than one obtains an inverse r force from an effectively infinitely
long rod, I don't understand the "... idea of inverse r squared forces versus
inverse r ...."