Re: Saturday Morning Puzzle, Part 2

At 10:20 AM 10/6/01 -0700, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
The separation has doubled, Moe's mass has doubled, Joe's mass and
that of his three friends is eight times what Joe's mass used to
be.

We are obviously talking about two different problems. I thought the total
mass was supposed to be invariant. Where's all this extra mass coming from?
The original statement called for "same volume and density" which rather
implies same total mass. Besides, I don't see how to make this an
interesting problem without assuming constant total mass.