Re: Magnetic Field Intensity?

At 10:36 AM 10/5/01 -0500, Corey Graham wrote:
I have a person with a question about magnetics.

I thought they were called magnets, not magnetics.
My dictionary doesn't think magnetic is a noun.

He has two magnetics
made by different suppliers, with the same basic design. Both magnetics
have the same magnetic force at 12vdc. But when they are tested at a
lower voltage the results are not the same. This does not make sense to me
because
H = 0.628 NI / r

Where does that come from?
What's r?
Usually H is just ampere-turns per meter, independent of materials.

In any case you're probably measuring B, not H.

If the resistance is the same for both magnetics then why are they
getting a lower magnetic field intensity?? Does the material that
the coils are wraped around make a difference??

I should think so!

http://www.phy.davidson.edu/ModernPhysicsLabs/magnets.htm

Does the material the the coils are
packed in make a difference in the magnetic field intensity??

Typically not much.