Re: Physics definition of work

At 08:25 10/3/01 -0400, Tony Wayne wrote:
I'm doing a unit for the first time (in 16 years) on simple machines. Does
anyone have any cool demonstrations/labs or factoids relating to any simple
machine concepts?
-tony

Not sure if this is the right stage to discuss it, but in inclined planes,
mention of Feynman's screw jack (versus ratchet jacks or hydraulic jacks)
and the work that it occasions is an object lesson in the virtue of
humility, and the need to evaluate pronouncements even from the
inner sanctum.
Newton's expression for sound transmission in air can serve a
similar purpose too.

Archimedes' inclined screw as a lift pump has always struck me as a
rather wonderful innovation - the water pockets run downhill,
though they are climbing up the river bank.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!