Re: Physics for Ninth Graders?

on 9/27/01 7:19 AM, Tim O'Donnell at odonnt@CELINA.K12.OH.US wrote:

I don't believe there will be any substantial reform of the
primary/elementary educational system until we get rid of
two 19th century impedimenta: the self-contained classroom,
and age-gradedness. I wish a Nobel laureate or famous
personality would get on *that* bandwagon.

Well maybe we are slowly changing. In my district the
self-contained classroom is slowly vanishing. This year
the 3rd grade teachers are switching out students in
different subject areas and there is talk of the 2nd grade
teachers doing it next year. The age gradedness is still a
problem, but that may be more a parental problem (Most
parents wouldn't want their 10 year old in a first grade
reading class with a bunch of 6 year olds - and
unfortunately in the public schools, parents control the
purse strings.)

What about the social part of education?
Granted there are students at very different intellectual levels in the same
grade, but often those "advanced" students have not advanced socially. Most
of the problems that occur with accelerated promotion and placement occur
socially and not with academic ability. Speaking as a person who was the
last in his HS class to drive and spent three weeks as a 17 year old college
freshman I can attest that even a small offset can make social life
difficult.

I cannot imagine sending my daughter (8 yr 3rd grade) off to work with 7th
grade students (Her reading/comprehension is above average). IMHO the
better solution would be to lower class sizes and teacher work loads to the
point in which more individualized curriculums could be practically
implemented.

S.Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe - Brown Northwood Academy