Re: Weight and Mass

It was my Chemistry teacher in HS that finally got ME to see the difference.
He was comparing (and contrasting) a 'spring scale' and a triple beam balance.
This was in the 60's, so we were 'on the way' to the moon.
It was the moon's lower g value that clinched the importance of the
difference for ME!

These things have to repeated MANY times from MANY different
perspectives before a 'thinking' student will have the light bulb
light up. The non-thinking students just want some words to memorize
for the test. You can either accommodate these non-thinkers or not.
Memorizing vocabulary lists WILL get them SOMEWHERE.

At 12:05 PM -0500 on 9/24/01, Tina Fanetti wrote
I thought I had explained clearly what the difference between weight =
and mass was to my students. I asked them to write down any question=
s they had at the end of class and some one wants me to explain the d=
ifference again with examples.

Thoughts?
Tina

--