Coupled Pendulums

Hello Phys-L gang,

I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing their explanation of
the
motion of a coupled pendulum (two or more pendulums suspended from
horizontal section of string.

I set the first pendulum to oscillate and left the second at rest.
Here
is what I seem to be observing when both pendulums are the same
length...

1) The first pendulum begins to oscillate (of course)
2) Shortly after the first, the second pendulum begins to
oscillate as
well .
3) The two oscillate together for a time and then the first comes
nearly
to rest. When the first comes to rest, the amplitude of the second
seems
to be near its maximum.
4) The first will begin oscillating again while the second comes
rest. Again, the first seems to reach a maximum amplitude when the

second returns to rest.

When the pendulums are different lengths...

1) The first pendulum continues to oscillate at all times
2) The second pendulum will begin to oscillate then stop,
oscillate then
stop, oscillate then stop, etc.
3) I am observing this regardless of whether the first pendulum is
the
longer or shorter of the two.

In both cases, I used pendulum bobs of the same mass.

What is going on here? Is it energy transfer? resonance?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe Taylor

begin:vcard
n:Taylor;Joe
tel;fax:719.531.9104
tel;work:719.531.5167 ext. 283
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Biological Sciences Curriculum Study
adr:;;5415 Mark Dabling Blvd.;Colorado Springs;CO;80918-9994;
version:2.1
email;internet:jtaylor@bscs.org
title:Professional Development Associate
fn:Joe Taylor
end:vcard