Re: DATA on collapsing WTC

At 8:57 -0400 9/22/01, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

1) I did not (yet) perform averaging over 15 frames, only
over 9 frames, as posted two or three days ago. I plan to
do 15 frames averaging of y tomorrow. It will be much less
error prone than before because Glenn's data are already
in the spreadsheet form. Click on the link in his message,
download the spreadsheet and play with it in Excel.

If I have read these posts correctly you have averaged adjacent sets
of 9 data points each. It seems to me that some noise cancellation in
the data could be achieved by doing a running average of a dozen or
so points,shiting each averaged set by only two or three points. That
should lead to a larger set of data points to plot and hence better
statistics, and the variation from average to average would not be
quite so large. I know that a lot of the automated data processing
routines do this, but whether it leads to more accurate results or
just smoother plots, I really don't know.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://haskell@ncssm.edu>