Re: What to do now

Search the web for the term "classroom assessment techniques" or CATs. You
will find many examples of CATs which might help you gauge where your
students are and what they yet need to succeed. One example is
http://www.siue.edu/~deder/assess/catmain.html.

Check your school librarian (or amazon.com) for books on CATs. One good
one I've used is "Classroom Assessment Techniques : A Handbook for College
Teachers," by Thomas A. Angelo, K. Patricia Cross, Patricia Cross
(Contributor), 2nd edition (October 1994), Jossey-Bass; ISBN: 1555425003.

Organize extra problem-solving sessions outside the regular
classes. Document which students do and do not attend. You might consider
awarding extra credit for participating (not just attending) these extra
sessions. Or allow students who attend the extra sessions to retake the
test.

In class, don't just ask for questions -- pose your own questions to
students. Call on them by name. Keep the ball moving. Don't get bogged
down on an individual student who will not play, but don't just let the
student take a pass. Rephrase the question or ask a related, but simpler,
question.

As we begin new material I assign a problem from the homework to each of
two or three students for recitation. The students are responsible for
putting their solution on the board and describing it to the other
students. The students know more than a week in advance what problem they
will be solving, so there is no excuse for not getting it right. The
pressure to perform well in front of the other students is also some
incentive to be prepared.

Another idea (though riskier) is to invite your supervisor to sit in on
your class. This approach requires a lot of self-confidence, and I
wouldn't try it if you don't have it. I've taken this approach with good
feedback from my supervisor. However, even if you don't ask, remember that
your supervisor could drop in on his own at anytime, so be prepared. Let
him (her) see how you handle your class. He (she) will also see how
unprepared and unresponsive the students are.

Maintain your composure in class. You are in charge. Don't beg. What's
your "problem" with foreign students?

Good luck!

Glenn