Re: emergency egress

And most just don't want to change -- Hell it was good enough for Young, it
should be good enough for me -- and my unaware students -- after all what
do they know.

I think we should try to remain more civil in this discussion, particularly
given that I have received some email complaints regarding the tenor of
recent PHYS-L postings. Business-as-usual via intentional incivility is
particularly inappropriate given the international politics of the moment.
We can and should try to do better in our everyday lives.

There are those of us who simply feel we have valid reasons rooted in both
physics and pedagogical research that disagree with your positions,
Jim. It's not that we're too stupid to see what you are trying to say, it's
that we still disagree. I disagree, b/c I really do think it is both
legitimate physics to claim energy flows and is treatable as stuff --
hotter objects DO weigh more than cooler ones. The Earth's oceans HAVE
tidal bulges. We can even cite literature discussing problem solving by
professional engineers, and educational researchers describing appropriate
strategies for teaching thermodynamics: e.g.

<http://mailgate.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9709&L=phys-l&P=R16032>
<http://mailgate.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9909&L=phys-l&P=R8206>
etc

I frequently change my mind when presented with well-reasoned argument
supported with valid data. I have seen neither that has convinced
me of any reason to change teaching 'tidal bulges' or 'heat as stuff'.
Ex-cathedra blustering does your argument no credit, though I would like
to see the language you prefer. I do agree there are a number of faculty
teaching physics who disagree with these positions, and I have read and
reflected upon their ideas as well. I would be happy to admit I am wrong
if you can convince me (I am wrong about something daily and my students
and wife and family have found me somewhat educable) -- you simply haven't
convinced me. Railing is completely unconvincing and I find it insulting,
which is why I sometimes tease you on the 'purity' of your language --
I don't see why I should follow the doctrine you lay down on this issue,
and refuse to take up your position on faith.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner