Re: Relationship between Earth Moon

I find it hard to believe the statement above.
How did you obtain the data that suggests that
"most students in college do not grasp the relationship
between the earth and the moon" and that "most think
that the moon is close enough to take a plane to?<<<<

I came to this conclusion based on interviews and on surveys handed out to students. The survey questions were:

1.. Explain, as clearly as you can, why it is the Moon sometimes appears as a full bright circle like this, (drawing of circle) and sometimes the Moon can appear as a crescent like this, (drawing of crescent).

2. . On the back of this page, draw the Earth-Moon System as a scale model. (This means draw the Earth and Moon the correct sizes for a sheet of paper. Also, make sure that you have the correct distance apart for a sheet of paper.) Don't worry about being exact, just be as close as you can. Please explain why you drew the Earth-Moon System the way you did. Please be sure to label all the items in you sketch!

After collecting all the surveys, before and after instruction. I measured the circles and set up ratios. Most Student drew the earth and moon less then 3 earth diameters apart.

I can send you the actual data if you would like

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429

Herbert H Gottlieb <herbgottlieb@JUNO.COM> 09/10/01 05:46PM >>>
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:09:53 -0500 Tina Fanetti