Re: little gee

At 11:21 AM 9/12/01 -0400, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
the way I was taught: "its units are m/s^2 and it is the acceleration of
gravity" was a common shortcut description, although we always "knew"
that this was fraught with difficulties.

We did?
I wasn't taught that way.
I never knew of any difficulties whatsoever.
I still don't know of any.

N/kg is much more expressive of g's concept and mathematical origin.

I would say just the opposite!
-- In particular, what does N/kg predict for a massless particle?
-- I didn't know g had a mathematical origin.
I thought it originated in physics.
-- I have a very clear concept of the physical origin of g.
I have not seen any reason not to express this as an acceleration.

Little g is directly observable. We observe the acceleration.

Little g is a field. It assigns an acceleration to every point in the
chosen reference frame. The field near the earth's surface has been
observed with accuracy on the order of 1 microgal (one part in a
billion). Here are some of the results:
http://cires.colorado.edu/~bilham/Absgdata.html

These observations were !not! made by measuring a force and dividing by a
mass. They were made by directly observing the acceleration.
http://cires.colorado.edu/~bilham/FG5operation.html