Re: Solar System's rotation

Of course you're correct, Larry. I knew the best estimate was 4.6
billion; I don't know why I wrote 12 billion. Your 40 million year
excerpt from American Scientist is informative, but does the statement
you put in quotes refer to the time when the first group of dust
particles clumped together in the protoearth?

Paul O. Johnson

--- Larry Woolf <Larry.Woolf@GAT.COM> wrote:
The best estimate is that the earth formed about 4.6 billion years
ago, not
12 billion. According to a recent article in the Sep-Oct 2001 issue
of
American Scientist (pages 432-442), the protoearth accretion was 99%
complete 40 million years after "the settling of dust in the
accretionary
disk of the protosolar system."

See Cameron, A. G.W. 1978. Solar accretion disk and planetary
formation.
In Origin of the Solar System, ed. S. F. Dermott, pp. 49-74. New
York:
Wiley.