From: John S. Denker <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Date: Saturday, September 08, 2001 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: Thinking Level of students

At 12:09 PM 9/8/01 -0700, Wes Davis wrote:
Many - if not most - of my college astronomy students are unable to form
a mental picture of the relationship between the earth, sun and moon.

That statement is hard to interpret without some more details, some more
context.

I assume we talking about
A) the basic new moon / 1st quarter / full moon geometry,
as opposed to
B) lunar nodes, pairing of eclipses, and the Saros

Even under this assumption, is the message that:
1) They weren't born knowing it, and can't picture it until it has been
covered in class?
2) The picture doesn't "stick" even after it has been covered in class
in the usual way?
3) They are intrinsically unable to grasp it, no matter how it is
taught?
4) They can't do it quickly using mental images alone, even though they
could manage if given more time and/or pencil&paper and/or props to work
with?

Those are very, very different meanings.

I would find meanings (2) and (3) quite shocking. Even meaning (1) would
be alarming. Geometric relationships in general, and the earth/moon/sun
geometry in particular, is commonly introduced in 2nd grade, and students
are expected to (mostly) "get it" by 3rd grade or 4th grade. (You can
confirm this by using google to find a bunch of 3rd-grade syllabuses. I
also checked with someone who teaches 3rd grade and has advanced training
in developmental psychology.)

Meaning (4) would be no surprise -- and no problem.

Bottom line: I don't understand what the point is.....