Earth Tides

At 06:04 07 09 2001 , you wrote:
I guess the LAND bulges are more 'real'. Dirt doesn't slosh as much
as water does.

Well, Chuck, I don't know of any research re the Earth Tides -- We have
been talking about Ocean Tides -- but the Earth Tides are "real" and not
trivial. I forget the magnitude, but I think they are of the order of feet
-- and make the study of Ocean Tides more "interesting".

Your question is interesting however: We need to ask a geologist whether
there are any solid inhomogeneities within the Earth which might have
different natural resonances from each other (near Moon/Sun frequencies)
which in turn would give complex perturbations of the Earth surface. But I
think that the Earth Tides are considered to be "bulge-like". Of course,
as we have seen, so are the Ocean Tides by some.

As I recall there are measurable Moon Tides as well.

Can somebody tutor us here?

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen