Re: A short survey.

I wanted to know how many of them would think about
one half of an equilateral triangle in this context.

Those who decide to send me the results, like 39,4,11,
should conduct the survey in a college non calculus physics
course. That is what I am interested in. That does not mean
I was not interested in David's generalizations.
Ludwik Kowalski

P.S.
I will be teaching tides in about six weeks. How many of
them would see a connection between a fancy saddle I might
prepare and the earth-moon system?

Rick Tarara wrote:

Ludwik,

You shouldn't be surprised at these results. You asked the second question
backwards. Had you asked, 'Write down the Sine of 30 degrees', you might
have gotten more correct answers. :-)

If anyone thinks this is not a factor in student performance, try giving
reverse definitions {give tithe definition and the students give you the
word or term which the definition describes--well some do!}

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--AIRTRACKS & BALLISTIC LAUNCHER
CD-ROMs now available