Sun tides

I have used the Solar System as an example of Center of Mass and
tidal effects for some years.

Using the masses of the sun and each planet, along with the radius of
each planet's orbit lets the kids do a spreadsheet to find the CM.

It's surprisingly (to ME at least) far from the sun when the planets
are 'aligned'. It also shows the varying effect of the small inner
planets versus the Giants.

Was this the 'Jupiter Effect' that John Gribben would rather we forget about?

Jupiter's 'year' is just under 12 earth years. Is this related to the
sun spot cycle?????

Perhaps when Jupiter AND Saturn are aligned or 'anti-aligned' the
solar tides are maxed out and the poles flip??? No other reason for
the pole flipping seems to carry the day.
--