Re: Asteroid Problem

At 12:17 AM 9/1/01 -0700, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

One needs to find a violation of the "Wiedemann-Franz ratio" for materials
i.e. high tensile modulus, low shear.

At 11:53 9/1/01 -0400, John Denker wrote:
Huh? I've lost track of what question we are trying to answer, but even so
I'm pretty sure this isn't the answer.

1) The Wiedemann-Franz law says high electrical conductivity implies high
thermal conductivity.
http://www.princeton.edu/~npo/Wiedemann.html

2) There is no law of that name, or any other name, relating tensile
strength to shear or torsion properties.

While it is clear that Bernard misremembered the label for materials which
may possibly have atypical tensile to shear modulus ratios, I should also
mention that there certainly is a 'law' or at least a relation between
these moduli for the usual run of isotropic materials, and I will now
display it:

For v = Poisson's ratio, E = tensile or Young's modulus,
the shear modulus G is given by 1/2 E /(1 + v),
the bulk modulus K is given by 1/3 E /(1-2v)

Brian W

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!