Re: Asteroid Problem

At 12:17 AM 9/1/01 -0700, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

One needs to find a violation of the "Wiedemann-Franz ratio" for materials
i.e. high tensile modulus, low shear.

Huh? I've lost track of what question we are trying to answer, but even so
I'm pretty sure this isn't the answer.

1) The Wiedemann-Franz law says high electrical conductivity implies high
thermal conductivity.
http://www.princeton.edu/~npo/Wiedemann.html

2) There is no law of that name, or any other name, relating tensile
strength to shear or torsion properties. Reason: People have for >>3000
years known how to make _rope_. When many small fibers are bound together
the tensile strength grows linearly while the stiffness grows much less.

3) If you want to violate the real Weidemann-Franz law in a big way, use a
_superconductor_. The W-F law is basically a statement that whatever
carries charge carries entropy. That's great for unpaired electrons, but
the superfluid carries beaucoup charge while carrying no entropy whatsoever.