From: Justin Parke [mailto:FIZIX29@AOL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 2:21 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: F=m*a, was Thermodynamics

I appreciate all of the comments I have seen. I certainly
did not intend to ressurect the debate over whether
accelerations cause forces. Let me attempt to rephrase my question:

If it is permissible in thermodynamics to say that gas
molecules *could* do something (collect in one corner of a
container) but are instead observed to do something else in
every case (distribute themselves throughout the volume of a
container) why can we not say that an object *could* have any
acceleration but instead is always observed to have an
acceleration which could be predicted by the equation a=Fnet/m?

Justin