Re: Kelvin and the Age of the Earth

At 08:37 8/28/01 -0400, you wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could point me to Kelvin's derivation of the
age
of the Earth? ...
Brian Blais
bblais@bryant.edu
web.bryant.edu/~bblais

There is an extraordinary variability of web-accessible materials, even
from academic sources on the topic of Kelvin's Earth age estimate.
If you will persevere with this URL to fig 1.10, you will find a
respectable treatment of Kelvin's method, which begins with the observation
of increase of temperature with depth in mines in graphical form, of which
there were plenty in Victorian Britain.

<http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/wessel/courses/gg313/DA_book/node23.html>

Brian W

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK