Re: [Fwd: Physicist fired for writing book] [in work time] [and taking the micky out of someone] [probably a boss]

Re Jeff and his firing . . . . . . . . . . .

I come from a different part of the world where there are also unusual
emplyment cases hitting the headlines.
I have two questions:
This is a long time after the event (in internet terms)

*Why the renewed interest?
*Does anyone know whether Jeff *wants* his job back?
Or even: *Did he get it back?

I have searched the web to see what he is doing now. To no avail.

I was going to say something else like "It suprises me that a Physics
magazine would take this step. Since physics people generally are sort of
vaguely logical and able to string two thoughts together. But then I came
to my senses.

I have one other rather cynical comment I could make, but I'll wait. :-|

-Derek

Derek Chirnside - DCandPC@netaccess.co.nz
http://users.netaccess.co.nz/mindtools/ (Personal pages)
http://www.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/~physnzip/ (Canterbury pages)

<huge snip>

If misuse of company time is the principal crime
for which Jeff has been tried and convicted, then
I can assure you that -- during the time I worked in
the same office -- he was far from the most
egregious offender. Others must come forward on
their own, but I certainly can speak for myself:
not only did I spend time researching and writing
a weekly column for a major daily newspaper while
sitting at my desk, the staff spent a fair amount of
time discussing the topics I chose. It was no secret.
I did every scrap of work that was given to me as soon
as it was given to me. But I reclaimed the time left
over as my own.