From: Paul O. Johnson
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Sent: 8/1/2001 7:46 PM
Subject: I Don't Have to Use Windows

Hugh Haskell <hhaskell@MINDSPRING.COM> uses the signature:

Let's face it. People use a Mac because they want to, Windows because
they have to..

I've smiled for years whenever I read this at the end of Hugh's
messages. I was a Mac disciple for 10 years -- from the year the Mac
Plus came out till the year after Windows 95 came out. I was an officer
in the local Dallas Mac Users Group, I edited the newsletter for our
Mac Users Group at work, I helped new users get up to speed on the Mac.

When it was time for me to upgrade my Mac in the mid 90s, I discovered
that Windows 95 was almost as easy to use as the Mac OS, I could get a
Pentium machine with Win95 for much less than a new top-of-the-line
Mac, and there were many more applications to run under Windows. So I
switched.

I regretted my decision for the two years I used Win95. It crashed
weekly and I had to reinstall it every few months. But when I switched
to WinNT 4.0 I discovered better stability than I ever knew on the Mac.
Now I use Win2K and it's even more stable.

I hate to say it, but I really believe the remaining Mac afficionados
are fighting a losing battle. Even though Mac OS X has gotten good
reviews, I'm afraid the Apple line is dying out.

This is not to say that I have a great deal of love for Microsoft. I
plan to switch to Linux whenever I can get up the nerve.

Paul O. Johnson