Re: Old Computers

From Michael:

A confession and an interesting story...

"When we "demoted" a bunch of 486 computers, we couldn't bear to throw them
out, so we kept about 30 of them. A year later we hadn't touched them, but
we demoted 25 or so Pentium-75's. We threw out the 486 and kept the P-75's.
A year later we demoted 25 or 30 Pentium-133's. We threw the P-75's out of
storage and stored the P-133's. This happened again. Today we have P-233's
in storage and are beginning to demote P-333's. We will probably clean out
the storage room of P-233's and put the old P-333's there. We haven't
learned our lesson yet"

In our case we 'collect' anything P75 and better at my son's school -
Government departments, business etc.
These are connected to a really simple linux based network and is used for
word processing, intranet, CD's and other basic applications - as well as
print servers. It has created a storeage problem. (What do you do with the
carcases, the bits etc.) The ideal find happened at my work in Feb: My boss
said to pull my van up to the door and loaded it to window level with 12
identical computers which went to make 10 going ones.
There are issues in labour. (All the setup is provided by computer
professionals free)
We also of course have a smallnumber of high end machines where they are
needed.

There are sure to be schools local to you in a similar situation.

-Derek
Do you really need a BMW to collect the groceries?
Thinking about schools:
Do you really need a P333 to word process a document?