Re: European wiring

At 15:19 -0500 7/17/01, NEIL D ADAMS wrote:

Does anyone know what the wiring format is in Europe where there is 220
V AC? Is it normal to wire homes with 3 or 4 wire systems? Thanks Neil
Adams

I don't have a definitive answer, but I just returned from a brief
sojourn in Italy where we stayed in an old farmhouse that had been
restored and had modern wiring. I noticed that the electrical outlets
all had a hole for a center prong, presumably a ground wire (my
two-prong power adapters worked fine without the center prong), so I
assume that the house was wired with a three-wire system. Older
houses and hotels have only two-prong plugs, so it appears that, just
as in this country, modern wiring is three-wire, while older
buildings have only two-wire systems.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell