fwd: PHYSICS & SOCIETY EDUCATION/events at AAPT meeting

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:46:13 -0500
From: Art Hobson <ahobson@UARK.EDU>

PHYSICS & SOCIETY EDUCATION
July 2001
PHYSICS & SOCIETY EDUCATION SESSION IN ROCHESTER
We will have two invited talks and six contributed talks at
our session at the Rochester meeting (21-25 July 2001). The P&S
Education session will be on Wednesday, 25 July, 08:00-10:30 am,
Highland C at the Convention Center. We have a great line-up:
* 8:00, invited, The Biosphere 2 Center for Research and Education:
A New Light. Norman Chonacky, senior research scientist for
biomaedical engineering at the Schapiro Center for Physical Science
Research, Columbia University. He will describe how the B2C Center
in Arizona has been and will be used for environmental education and
research on topics such as global warming and the effects of
environmental alterations.
* 8:30, invited, Explorations in Physics: Enhancing Scientific
Literacy in a Curriculum for Nonmajors. Priscilla Laws, Professor of
Physics, and coordinator of the well-known Workshop Physics Project
for the science education of future elementary school teachers, at
Dickinson College. She will describe the Explorations in Physics
modular curriculum, and give examples from a unit on global warming
entitled "Energy, Fuels, and Environment.
* 9:00, Efficiency of Electric Power Plants. Harvey Leff,
California State Polytechnic Univ.
* 9:15, Accelerated Cooling--A Forensic Issue. Richard Reimann,
Boise State Univ.
* 9:30, An Interdisciplinary Environmental Issues Course. Robert
Ehrlich, George Mason Univ.
* 9:45, Nuclear Weapons for Physics Majors. James Huddle, U.S. Naval Academy.
* 10:00, Teaching Skepticism in the Ninth Grade. David Simmons, St.
John's Jesuit High School.
* 10:15, Teaching Evolution-Related Topics Within a Physics Course.
Art Hobson, Univ of Arkansas.
Please try to attend, and tell others about it.

CRACKERBARREL SESSION ON PHYSICS AND SOCIETY EDUCATION
This is the first time our group has tried holding a
"Crackerbarrel Session" at an AAPT meeting. Crackerbarrel Sessions
are devoted to group discussion. It's not a meeting, just an open
discussion about any relevant topics that people want to bring up.
Last year in Guelph we discussed things over supper at the picnic.
This year, several members of our group suggested sponsoring a
Crackerbarrel Session for this purpose.
The session is "Session BU" on Monday, 23 July, 7-8 pm, in
Highland A at the Convention Center. Note that this Crackerbarrel
Session happens on Monday evening, two days BEFORE our
invited/contributed session on Wednesday morning.
Possible topics for discussion: How can we promote physics
and society education in public schools and colleges? What topics or
courses would be appropriate to offer, at what levels? Suggestions
for ways to teach science and society topics, and for places to
insert such topics within physics courses. Suggestions for the
future of our Physics & Society Education group. And anything else
you want to bring up.
Please come, and bring along others who might be interested.

PHYSOC EMAIL LIST
Our "physoc" email list now has 59 members. To send an email
message to everybody on the list, address it to:
<physoc@listserv.uark.edu>. Think before you hit "Send," because all
59 people will receive your message. The same goes for "replies" to
the list--you might want to address it to an individual instead of
simply hitting "Reply."
The physoc list is for all of us. Use it for anything you
want to share with the group: alert us to publications or talks,
alert us to relevant news, send a copy of your own article or letter
to the editor, ask the group for information, etc.
If you know anybody who wants to join this list, ask them to
email me at ahobson@uark.edu (do NOT email physoc for this), with:
last name, first name, <email address>. I will pass around a physoc
sign-up sheet at our two sessions in Rochester, for people who would
like to be on the list but are not now on it.
--
Art Hobson, Physics, U Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>