Magnets and induction

Dear Colleagues,

I have a question on magnets and electromagnetic induction. When two bar magnets are brought near each other there is attraction or repulsion due to magnetic fields. Magnetism itself is an interesting question but I am interested in knowing if electromagnetic induction plays any role in bar magnets which are conductors (iron). When a magnet is brought nearer to another magnet there is a change in flux (assuming non-uniform magnetic field). A change in flux induces an emf and eddy currents which create a magnetic field of their own. According to Lenz’s law magnetic fields created by these eddy currents act to counter-balance the change. In this example it means that there is a repelling force between magnets. This effect seems to be insignificant with respect to magnetic force due to magnetic domains in the magnets.

Could you share your insights in this question? It would be interesting to have some quantitative comparisons between the effects described (if my analysis is correct in the first place).

Antti Savinainen
Physics teacher
Kuopio Lyseo High School
Finland