Re: Classroom response systems

Tom,
We have the PRS system from
EduCue@EduCue.com
www.EduCue.com
(518) 384-2236
Fax: (518) 399 3572

It has been in operation since Jan. 2000. It has been used by myself,
four other people in the department and one in the chemistry dept.

We have 90 infrared transmitters and 3 receivers mounted in the room. The
transmitters are tethered to the students' desks so that we don't have to
distribute and collect them for each class. For photos, see:
http://www.uncg.edu/~muirrob/prs/prs.html
After taking these photos, we removed one receiver just to make sure only
one receiver would pick up any given transmitter. The receivers are
daisy-chained and connected to the computer's serial port.

This system couldn't be easier to install. We have had one transmitter
unit damaged by a student who broke off the battery compartment cover. We
have not had to replace batteries yet, but might have to this fall.

The only shortcoming of this system is that it is limited to multiple
response type questions in contrast to one that will allow the entry of
text/numeric responses. We have not found that to be limiting yet.

The wireless aspect means that the system can be portable and easily moved
among several rooms.

It has been used for simply obtaining feedback (shared with the class via
the response histogram) and for "Mazur - like" peer instruction and group
discussion.

All who have used the system are very pleased, even amazed at the info
gained and by the students' reception to it.

I'll be glad to show it to you most anytime you would like. Call me at
home.

Bob