Re: Faraday induction

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Wolfgang Rueckner wrote:

Now here's the question. How large can this "split" become? For example,
suppose we open up the split so that it's as large as the diameter of the
loop -- what area does one use to calculate the magnetic flux? Does one
just imagine a "short" between the two open ends of the loop so that one
has a quasi enclosed area?

For real-world classroom situations, you could include the wires that
connect the voltmeter to the ends of the ring. Quickly we realize that
the position of those leads affects the measured voltage. If they extend
straight across the break (connecting a tiny meter), you get one result.
Loop the leads to follow the ring (so there is little enclosed flux), then
the voltage will be WAY different. The voltmeter leads are part of this
simple experiment.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L