Re: Faraday induction

In contrast, the original question cited a "rule" about
the induced _current_ . That does not apply in this case, for
the simple reason that there never was any such rule.

You can calculate the induced current (or lack thereof)
from the given Maxwell equation and Ohm's law. No problem.

If (!) there is an induced current, Lenz's law is a useful
rule of thumb, a mnemonic that helps you keep the signs
straight, so you know the direction of the current.
That's all. It doesn't say there will be a current.

I didn't mean to imply that there was a current but merely that the induced
emf could produce a current (if there were a complete circuit). In fact,
we were using the law, as you suggest, to determine which end of the loop
will end up with a higher potential w.r.t. the other end.

Wolfgang