Re: SR examination question

How many Ph.D. Physicists does it take to......

While all the nit-piks that have been stated are arguably true, I think it
is quite clear what the question intends. Jane's second hand makes 2.29
revolutions while Peter's makes one. The watches don't need to be
synchronized to observe this and the observation is a 'God's Eye View' as is
often the case when talking about time dilation. The assumption that Jane
is at rest and Peter is moving in a straight line are also common to such
problems. At the intended level of the problem, I see nothing that should
confuse the students. Any who could come up with all of our nit-piks should
also be wise enough to understand the intent of the question.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College