Re: Dirac String Trick

You can do the Dirac String Trick with a wide belt. For lecture demo I use a 2 inch wide piece of nylon webbing with a wooden block fastened at one end. Have a student hold one of the blocks and act as a referee. Rotations of your block can be counted by everyone in the class by the visible twists in the ribbon. After 4pi, you can remove all the twists by pure translations of your block. But there is a point where you have to move the block from one hand to the other, which is why you need a referee to verify that you have made no illegal moves.

As you put the demo away you can also make the point that if the block/ribbon you were holding was a fermion, the referee was clearly holding a fermion too, and that if you bundle them together into a composite particle, you can make a boson with only 2pi degeneracy.

This version is not original to me. I got it from the extremely witty and well-written article by R. W. Hartung, AJP vol. 47, p. 900 (1979). The article includes "how to" photos.

http://www.shopping.altavista.com