Re: SCIENCE TRIVIA

Founding fathers

Less than 50 people founded the entire population of
Europe, according to a new way of reading history
from the genome.

Less than 50 people founded the entire population of Europe,
according
to a new and accurate way to read demographic history from the genome.

Scientists previously believed that the 500 million people
that live in
Europe today are ancestors of about 10,000 people who left Africa
around 100,000 years ago.

But scientists from the Whitehead Institute at MIT in Cambridge,
Massachusetts have found so much genetic evidence of inbreeding, they
believe all Europeans probably descended from fewer than about 50
people who interbred together over about 30 generations. This select
group may have left Africa about 60,000 years ago....

I'm immediatly wondering if this means that the Mongol horde had no effect
on the European gene pool. Not to mention previous Steppe migrations into
Europe. My skepticism meter is heading towards being pinned. (Doesn't mean
the meter is correct though!)