Re: Good lectures

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
I have this problem with my college students sometimes.
A number of years ago I heard about the one minute paper at the end of
class. Where students are asked to spend one minute in reflection about
the class. List any thing that was well done or that they are still
^^^^^^^^^ not a good idea

confused about. I read these and then I spend the first part of the next
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ a good idea.

period clearing up anything that needs to be.

works in HS as well. Need a thick skin at first - but well worth it.

Presuming YOU came to class prepared and ready to think, I'd urge NOT to
invite them to criticize you.
Put the onus where it belongs. Invite them to criticize themselves ..
what they learned, what they were confused about, what they need to do
about that.
It's easy to carp at others; invite them to think about what they need
to do, differently perhaps, to learn more, better.

John N. Cooper, Chemistry
Bucknell University
Lewisburg PA 17837-2005
jcooper@bucknell.edu