Re: special relativity: accelerated frames

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Britton [mailto:britton@NCSSM.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 7:21 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: special relativity: accelerated frames

Having just wrapped up a VERY brief intro to SR for HS students, I
appreciate this thread.
I DID have one bright student who asked about circular motion. I have
stopped emphasizing the necessity of of the word INERTIAL in relating
postulate one for just this reason stated by John. Things DO get
more complicated with non-inertial frames but shouldn't require a
whole new paradigm of thinking.

Others, particularly Denker with the Lorentz Group discussion, have somewhat
replied this comment. I'd add that properly figuring out what happens for
circular motion is how Thomas became famous and had his name attached to the
"Thomas Precession Formula".

Joel Rauber